There will be no tours in August at the Oceanside Treatment Plant. We apologize for the inconvenience. Please check back this page for the next available tour dates.
Have you ever wondered what happens to the dirty water from your shower, laundry and toilet after it goes down the drain? What about the runoff from lawns and gardens, and rainwater and car washing?
Find out by taking a free tour of one of San Francisco's Wastewater Treatment Plants. You'll learn about the history of wastewater treatment in San Francisco and plans to upgrade our aging sewer system, tips on preventing pollution of our Bay and Ocean, and best of all, you'll go behind the scenes to see (and smell!) how this vital infrastructure works.
Tours Fill Up Fast. Sign Up Now!
Tours take place at our Oceanside Wastewater Treatment Plant and Southeast Wastewater Treatment Plant on Saturdays at 10 AM. Sign up here for the next tour!
- All tour participants must be 9 years or older.
- Tours take approximately two hours to complete.
- Attendees over 18 years of age must present a valid photo ID on the day of the tour.
- Tours involve quite a bit of walking, stair climbing, and going underground in tight hallways; we can modify the route to accommodate wheelchairs, canes and walkers.
- Treatment plants are functioning industrial sites that operate 24 hours a day, seven days a week. Hard hats are provided and must be worn at all times.
Sturdy closed shoes and socks, long pants and long-sleeved shirts are required for your safety and comfort. NO flip-flops, sandals, clogs, open toed shoes, shorts, skirts, or tank tops.
Those not wearing the appropriate attire may be turned away from taking the tour.
Tours for Schools and Professional Groups - ON HOLD FOR 2018
Tours for schools and professional groups are on hold for 2018 due to increased construction activities at our wastewater treatment plants. We will update our webpage once the tours become available.
If you would like to learn more about our construction projects, please visit sfwater.org/SSIP.
Oceanside Treatment Plant
Located in San Francisco’s Outer Sunset District at 3500 Great Highway, 94132
Southeast Treatment Plant
Located in San Francisco’s Bayview District, 750 Phelps Street, 94124
Please be advised that due to security issues we reserve the right to refuse anyone from taking part in a tour and to cancel tours in the event of a Plant or City emergency.
Phone: (415) 554-3289