Tours at Oceanside Treatment Plant are currently on hold due to increased construction activities including the construction of the Westside Enhanced Water Recycling Facility. Pending construction activities, tours at Southeast Treatment Plant are expected to resume in May 2019. We apologize for the inconvenience and will update our webpage once tours become available. If you would like to learn more about our construction projects, please visit sfwater.org/SSIP or see below additional resources to learn more about our combined sewer system.
More Resources About Our Combined Sewer System!
Have you ever wondered what happens to the dirty water from your shower, laundry and toilet after it goes down the drain? What about the runoff from lawns and gardens, and rainwater and car washing?
Find out by taking a free tour of one of San Francisco's Wastewater Treatment Plants. You'll learn about the history of wastewater treatment in San Francisco and plans to upgrade our aging sewer system, tips on preventing pollution of our Bay and Ocean, and best of all, you'll go behind the scenes to see (and smell!) how this vital infrastructure works. We hope to see you on a tour!
In the meantime, you can read more about our amazing combined sewer system here.
- All tour participants must be 9 years or older.
- Tours take approximately two hours to complete.
- Attendees over 18 years of age must present a valid photo ID on the day of the tour.
- Tours involve quite a bit of walking, stair climbing, and going underground in tight hallways; we can modify the route to accommodate wheelchairs, canes and walkers.
- Treatment plants are functioning industrial sites that operate 24 hours a day, seven days a week. Hard hats are provided and must be worn at all times.
- Photos and or video are NOT allowed.
Sturdy, closed-toed shoes and socks, long pants and long-sleeved shirts are required for your safety and comfort. NO flip-flops, sandals, clogs, open-toed shoes, shorts, skirts, or tank tops. Those not wearing the appropriate attire may be turned away from taking the tour.
Tours for Schools and Professional Groups - ON HOLD
Tours for schools and professional groups are on hold for 2018 due to increased construction activities at our wastewater treatment plants. We will update our webpage once the tours become available.
Phone: (415) 554-3289