We are here to help developers understand the street and pedestrian lighting requirements and processes in the City and County of San Francisco. Please note that the information here may not be up to date, always contact the streetlight engineer reviewing your project for the most up to date information. Please note that drawings provided are markups okayed for current use. Revised drawings will be uploaded after the global situation is resolved.
Steps for Successful Installation of Streetlights
- Current streetlight guidelines can be found below.
- Project owner fills out Streetlight Review Form with the appropriate attachments to SLEnginering@sfwater.org
- After review and revisions Photometric Study will be approved
a. Project owner will know the location, pole, and luminaire used
- Project owner will apply for new unmetered service(s)
- Project owner will revise streetlight plan to include service point information
- After review and revisions, Streetlight Plan will be approved
- The project owner asks for and receives an estimate for PUC inspection and administrative costs.
- Project owner pays the funds.
- Project owner fills out inspection form and sends to SLInspections@sfwater.org at least 5 working days before to schedule an inspection of: a) All streetlight infrastructure before pour and b) Final inspection
- The project owner receives an approval of the above from PUC inspector (email is OK)
- The project continues with the construction of the foundation, installation of poles and lights and all other items as necessary.
- The project team calls PUC inspector for final acceptance.
- Punch list items are provided to the Project owner
- After all punch list items are completed, Streetlight Engineer will provide Project owner with acceptance document.
The streetlight guidelines explain the requirements in designing and installing streetlights. It includes frequently asked questions.
The streetlight catalog includes street and pedestrian lights and poles that have been approved by the San Francisco Public Utilities Commission. Please note that even if the light and pole are in this catalog, a streetlight engineer must review and approve the light for each project.
Department of Public Works Red Lined Drawings:
The Department of Public Works drawings are in the process of being updated. Below are the red-lined drawings that supersede those drawings.
Below are various forms to help make sure that you have collected and submitted all the information needed for review.
Below are useful documents to help aid in your streetlight design.
SLEngineering@sfwater.org - Streetlight project related inquiries
SLInspections@sfwater.org - Inspection requests
Streetlights@sfwater.org - General streetlight related inquiries and redlined drawings
Revision date - November 1, 2020