Skip to page body Home Customer Service How To Environment Projects & Programs About Us

San Francisco’s Electricity Resource Plan

Achieving San Francisco’s Vision for Greenhouse Gas-Free Electricity

In response to guidance from the Board of Supervisors, the 2011 Updated Electricity Resource Plan (ERP) identifies strategies to meet all of San Francisco’s electricity needs from renewable and zero greenhouse gas (GHG) sources by the year 2030.

2100 Updated ERPThe plan details recommendations within three broad categories:

  • Empowering San Francisco residents and businesses to reduce their GHG emissions
  • Increasing the renewable and GHG-free content of the City’s electricity supplies, and
  • Continuing and expanding SFPUC electricity service to guarantee reliable, reasonably priced power for its customers

Currently, approximately 17% of electricity used in San Francisco is supplied by the SFPUC’s GHG-free power supply. The plan affects the SFPUC’s operations as well as the remaining 83% of citywide electric power that is supplied from other sources.

The 2011 Updated ERP was drafted with the collaboration and input of public stakeholders including the Power Plant Task Force. With its adoption by the San Francisco Public Utilities Commission (Resolution 11-0035) and the Board of Supervisors (Resolution 349-11), the plan represents the City’s policy objectives for the electricity sector.

Implementation of the plan is underway, with some recommendations being put in place directly by the SFPUC and others involving external collaboration.



The 2011 Updated ERP provides a new set of goals for San Francisco as the City achieved the primary goal of the 2002 Electricity Resource Plan — which was shutting down the fossil-fueled, polluting Hunters Point and Potrero power plants. Community residents and business representatives, with assistance from the Rocky Mountain Institute, shaped goals and identified strategies in the 2002 report, which was drafted jointly by the SFPUC and the San Francisco Department of the Environment.  The Energy Resources Investment Strategy, a follow-up report issued in 2003, provided additional details to accompany the 2002 ERP’s analysis and conclusions.

Last updated: 8/12/2013 5:27:27 PM