Water and sewer customers are charged for water consumption and sewage (also known as wastewater) treatment. Monthly bills are comprised of a fixed service based on a meter size plus a variable charge per unit of water consumed per unit of sewage discharged.
The Hetch Hetchy Regional Water System serves 2.7 million people in the Bay Area. Approximately one-third of our delivered water goes to retail customers in San Francisco, while wholesale deliveries to 27 agencies comprise the other two-thirds. The cost of providing the water is shared equitably between our retail and wholesale customers. Wastewater service costs are shared amongst San Francisco residents and businesses.
Your monthly combined water and sewer bill covers:
- 24/7 operations: delivering high-quality water and treatment of sewage and stormwater
- Major infrastructure investments:
- Water System Improvement Program (WSIP)
- Sewer System Improvement Program (SSIP)
- Water & Sewer main replacements
- Routine maintenance and emergency repairs
- Watershed & land management
- Environmental monitoring