Project Purpose and Scope of Work
The San Francisco Public Utilities Commission (SFPUC) operates a combined sewer system that collects and treats wastewater (sewage and stormwater). Our Sewer System Improvement Program (SSIP) is upgrading and modernizing our system to ensure we can continue to protect public health and the environment now and into the future.
As part of the SSIP investments, this project will rehabilitate the existing 100-year old sewer mains, located under Mission Street, between 16 th and 22nd Streets, as well as between 25th and Cesar Chavez Streets (the sewers between 22nd and 25th Streets are in good condition and do not need to be rehabilitated). To minimize impacts to the adjacent residents and businesses, most of the sewer rehabilitation work were designed to be performed using a trenchless method called Cured-in-Placed Pipe (CIPP) sfwater.org/cipp. This project will also relocate a portion of Emergency Firefighting Water System (EFWS) pipeline and a fire hydrant at the intersection of 20th and Mission Street, to make room for the sewer improvements.
In addition, SFPUC coordinated with another city agency, San Francisco Metropolitan Transit Authority (SFMTA), and included transit improvements, such as bus stop replacements and associated sidewalk and traffic signal work, near the intersection of Mission and 20th Streets, to be completed with the sewer construction contract. The transit related work is sponsored by SFMTA and information about the bus stop replacement project can be found in SFMTA’s website and the contact number below.
- Address aging sewer system infrastructure
- Increase reliability of our City’s critical sewer system infrastructure
- Minimize disruption to the community by coordinating capital improvements from different city departments to be completed at the same time
Example of construction site
Estimated Construction Schedule
Winter 2020 - Winter 2021
Click the image above to see a larger version of the map.
What to Expect During Construction
• SEWER AND WATER SERVICES: These services will NOT be interrupted during construction.
• PARKING: Street parking will be impacted near construction zones. “No-parking” signs will be posted 72 hours in advance.
• TRAFFIC: Partial lane closures may be necessary to ensure safety of workers and the public. Advance notice and detour signage will be provided, as needed.
• MUNI: Bus stops may be impacted during SFMTA’s transit work. For transit and bus stop work, please call (415) 646-2445 for temporary bus stop information.
• ACCESS: Follow posted signage on site. Businesses and residents in the work zone will maintain access to their driveways and entrances during construction.
• NOISE: Neighbors may hear construction noise periodically. Noisy work will be conducted in compliance with the San Francisco Noise Ordinance.
• ODORS: If necessary, odor control measures will be in place during construction. Please see CIPP page for more information sfwater.org/cipp.
• NOTICE: Residents and businesses within the project area will be notified before construction begins.
About the SSIP
This project is part of the Sewer System Improvement Program (SSIP), a 20-year, multibillion-dollar citywide investment required to upgrade our aging sewer system. The program is the result of an extensive community planning process and will ensure a reliable, sustainable and seismically safe sewer system now and for generations to come. For more information on SSIP and to stay up to date, please visit sfwater.org/ssip.