Does your redevelopment, new build, or remodel project need new water service? A Water Service Installation Request Application must be submitted for any modifications to or requests for new water service facilities.
Before You Visit our Office
Applicants must acquire all San Francisco Department of Building Inspection (DBI) and San Francisco Fire Department (SFFD) permits and approvals necessary before applying for services with the SFPUC New Installations Unit. DBI approval includes receipt of all SFPUC Water and Wastewater Capacity Charge payments due.
Applicants applying for a site permit for a project that includes new construction of a multi-family residential structure, mixed-use residential and commercial structure, or condominiums (regardless whether the individual dwelling units will be rented or owned) must comply with the SB 7 requirement. For more information on Residential Submetering, please go to: www.sfwater.org/reqs/submetering
Part 1: Applying for Service
- Application – Applicants must come to SFPUC Customer Services’ New Service Installations counter located at 525 Golden Gate Avenue, 2nd Floor to apply for various services related to water installations.
- Fixture Count – Applicant must provide a fixture count in order to determine meter size for each service.
- Signature – Application processing requires a signature agreeing to SFPUC’s Water Service Rules & Regulations for Service Installations and Water Supply.
- Submittals/Approvals – SFPUC will assist Applicant in identifying the types of services needed and filling out the submittals, forms and/or approvals required based on types of services being requested. Find out more about our Water, Power, Sewer, and Stormwater Requirements.
- Fees – When the Application order is confirmed, Applicant will receive SFPUC fees for the request including additional Terms & Conditions to complete the work. See our current flat rate fees.
- Application Approval – Upon receiving all the required approvals identified in the Application and receipt of payment, the Application is complete and services will be ordered.
SFPUC Charges for Installation of Water Services and/or Facilities
Every year on July 1, the SFPUC Commission establishes schedules of standard charges for single and multiple water services installations. Large, complex new water facility installations may require a custom cost proposal. The SFPUC will determine whether an installation qualifies for standard charges or a custom cost proposal during the Application Process. Additional field tests or analyses may be required to approve the Application and determine the SFPUC fees for the requested services.
Overview of Process Parts 2 & 3
Read more about Part 2 – Field Construction and Part 3 – Utility Service Agreement & Account Setup. SFPUC requires a minimum of 65 working days to complete Part 2 – Field Construction activities, in addition to any extra time that may be required. Failure to comply with SFPUC requirements may result in fines or the disconnection of water service.
New Service Installations
Monday through Friday 8 a.m.- 5 p.m.
525 Golden Gate Avenue
2nd floor, SF, 94102