Last updated August 11, 2017
The residential property application period for the SFPUC's Plumbing Fixture Replacement Program (PREP) is currently closed. We anticipate re-opening the residential application period later in 2017. If you have a residential property and would like to be emailed when our application period reopens, please email email@example.com requesting that we notify you when the PREP residential application period resumes. The application period for commercial properties closed December 31, 2016 and will not re-open. The PREP Program replaces old fixtures with water-efficient models in homes and businesses that meet eligibility criteria. For qualifying sites, licensed plumbers under contract to the SFPUC will remove old toilets and urinals and install new ones for free. Replacement fixtures will be limited to models specified by the SFPUC; see our PREP FAQs for more details. To qualify, sites must:
- Have existing toilets that use at least 3.5 gallons per flush (toilets rated 1.6 gallons per flush or less are not eligible) and/or urinals that use more than 1.0 gallons per flush. Fixtures installed after 1994 do not qualify.
- Accommodate installation of new high-efficiency models without major plumbing alterations or repairs. Properties with abnormal site conditions (e.g. rotted flooring, atypical plumbing configurations, etc.) will not be eligible for the PREP Program until conditions are improved.
- Install showerheads, faucets and/or faucet aerators that comply with the California Plumbing Code by the time PREP installations are complete.
The SFPUC has reviewed all applications submitted since the application period closed. Do not submit duplicate applications for the same property. If your application is complete and it appears from our records and the information you provided that your home or building may have old toilets or urinals, you will be contacted to schedule a mandatory pre-inspection. Incomplete applications or ones for sites that our records show have installed toilets and urinals since 1994 will be rejected and you will be notified.
- If your site has already been pre-inspected and has eligible fixtures, please contact the SFPUC's plumbing contractor, Bottom Line Utility Solutions (BLUS) at 800-597-2835 if you have questions about your installation. Installations will be scheduled in order of the application date.
- Pre-inspections for single family customers who applied by March 1, 2017 are complete and pre-inspections for small multi-family sites (up to 10 units) are expected to completed this August . BLUS is currently contacting large multi-family and commercial sites to schedule pre-inspections.
- Please RSVP to the requested pre-inspection or installation dates in order to confirm your appointment, or it will be put on hold.
PREP Program Steps
The SFPUC’s Plumbing Fixture Replacement Program (PREP) is intended to serve entire buildings, as well as single-family residences. Property owners, property managers or water account holders, with the agreement of all three parties if they are not one and the same, may coordinate submission of a single application for all toilets and urinals in the entire building.
For additional questions, contact the SFPUC Water Conservation Section at (415) 551-4730 or firstname.lastname@example.org.