Join our mailing list to be alerted of construction updates.
Spear Street - sewer construction is ongoing.
Traffic lane changes on Howard St between Steuart St and Main St are still in effect:
* Access to all parking garages and buildings will be open at all times on both Spear and Howard streets.
* Eastbound traffic on Howard St between Main St and Spear St to turn right onto Spear St. south.
* MUNI bus stop for 30X on the northeast side of Howard/Spear will be relocated to the southwest corner of Steuart/Howard.
* Some street parking will be removed 24 hours in the work area (around the northeastern corner of Howard and Spear) to facilitate traffic. Please see posted signs for exact details.
* Parking Lot on 75 Howard St: Access to lot will be available at all times; vehicles can travel to the lot from Steuart St or The Embarcadero to enter, and can exit by either taking a right to The Embarcadero or left to continue on Howard St. westbound.
Crews are installing 54" sewer pipe casing.
-- The original driveway exit at California and Drumm is closed and the mid-block exit driveway from the Hyatt Hotel is being used for traffic exiting the Hyatt. Pedestrian traffic should follow the signage through the California and Drumm Intersection. The cable car passenger loading zone remains open.
Drumm Street will remain closed between Market and Clay Streets, with two-way traffic on southbound lanes of Drumm Street. Commuters traveling to/from the area should remember:
* MUNI bus stop on Drumm St. at California St. for the 41 and 82X lines will be closed. Riders can catch these lines at the next MUNI bus stop at the corner of Sacramento and Davis Streets.
* PresidiGo and private shuttles will not be allowed to stop in front of the Hyatt Hotel on Drumm St. at California St. A temporary stop on Drumm St. near Washington St. will be in place.
* Taxi stand will also relocate to California St. between Drumm and Davis Streets in front of the Wells Fargo Bank.
* Cable Car Service at Market St. will not be interrupted.
* The Amtrak bus will only service the Embarcadero Stop south of the Ferry Building, and temporarily close the stop in front of the Hyatt Hotel.
Market Street Plaza
Crews are continuing excavation in preparation of sewer force main installation.
Project's Regular Work Days & Hours: Monday through Friday, 8:00 A.M. to 8:00 P.M. (notification will be provided for weekend/night-work)
For immediate updates or last-minute activities, please follow us on Facebook and Twitter!
Construct a bypass to the existing North Shore Force Main with a redundant pipeline so that this existing pressurized sewer pipeline can be taken off line for repairs without disruption to service or sewage overflows to the Bay.
The existing force main is near the end of its useful life and has failed twice in 2008, and most recently in March 2012. Currently this pipeline transports combined wastewater to the Southeast Wastewater Treatment Plant -- serving more than 350,000 people.
The contractor, KJ Woods, will construct a new 3,300-foot-long sewer force main pipeline to divert combined wastewater away from the portion of the existing force main that is susceptible to failure, install a new underground vault and other supporting facilities. The contractor will also replace or relocate approximately 1,600 feet of water mains, and repave most of the affected streets.
North Shore circa 1869 to Present Day
Comparing the Embarcadero wharf from centuries ago with today’s built up environment, helps us understand the difficulties the design engineers and contractor constantly struggle with as they encounter unmarked piers, buried brick sewers and other remains from the 1800s.